Dedicated Texas Attorney - Se Habla Español - Free Consultations - Payment Plans Available
Back to Top

What to Do After an Uninsured Motorist Accident in Texas

In Texas, every driver must have auto insurance coverage on their vehicle. If you are ever at fault for a car accident, this type of insurance offers financial protection by paying the other driver’s car repairs and medical treatment.

Unfortunately, not all drivers follow this law. If you were involved in a collision caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist, there are several legal options available to recover financial compensation.

Here are a few ways to recover money from an uninsured vehicle accident:

  • File a claim with your insurer – Every auto liability policy in Texas automatically comes with uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage—unless you opt out of it in writing. Essentially, if you are struck by a driver who doesn’t have auto insurance or didn’t have enough to pay for your damages, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will take effect. Additionally, it pays you if you are struck by a hit-and-run driver. The state minimum for this type of coverage $30,000 for injuries per individual, $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.
  • File a claim against a third party – If you are hit by an uninsured motorist who was working at the time of the crash, the driver’s employer may share liability for the collision. In addition, if an uninsured motorist was under the influence when the crash occurred, you may be able to sue the bar or restaurant that provided alcohol to the driver prior to the accident.
  • File a personal injury lawsuit against the uninsured driver – If you do not have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage or you have exhausted the limits of your policy, you may sue the at-fault driver for monetary damages. However, if a driver cannot afford car insurance, he/she most likely won’t have enough assets to pay you.
  • Rely on your own health insurance – If you run out of options as far as paying for your medical bills, you can use your own health insurance. However, you will have to pay the deductible and co-pays for care. As far as the vehicle damage repairs, that will come out of your own pocket.

If you have been injured in an uninsured motorist accident in Dallas, the Law Offices of Robert Gregg can help you obtain the most favorable outcome in your case. Contact us today at (214) 891-7536 to schedule a free consultation.