DALLAS, Texas. According to the Centers for Disease Control millions of people suffer slip and fall injuries each year. One in five falls leads to serious injuries like head injuries and broken bones, including broken hips. In fact, slip and fall accidents are the most common cause of traumatic brain injury. Falls can have a major impact on all aspects of a victim’s life. If you’ve suffered a slip and fall in a hospital, nursing home, or while on another person’s property, you may be entitled to seek damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Here are five things you can do to protect yourself after a slip and fall.
- Seek medical care. Certain injuries may not be immediately apparent after a slip and fall accident. According to the Mayo Clinic, the common symptoms of traumatic brain injury includes headache, nausea or vomiting, fatigue or drowsiness, problems speaking, difficulty sleeping, dizziness, and memory changes. However, these symptoms might not be apparent right away. Because brain injuries don’t always cause a visible wound, some victims may think that they are okay and won’t seek medical attention. Seeking medical care as soon as possible after you’ve suffered an injury is important—not only to protect your health but also to show insurance companies and negligent parties that you sought medical attention after your accident.
- Make a written report of the accident. If you’ve been hurt at a place of business, ask that a manger make a written report of the accident. If you’ve been hurt in a nursing home or hospital ask for a report of the accident. If you can, take photos of the scene of the accident and get the names of any witnesses who may have seen you fall. Start keeping a file with medical expenses, pay stubs, and any other information you think might be relevant to your case.
- Avoid Social Media. Don’t post about your accident on social media. Anything you say or do online can impact your personal injury case should you decide to seek damages. If your case needs to go to court, lawyers may review your social media to find any information that they can use to possibly fight your case. Protect yourself online and off.
- Ask that insurance companies contact you in writing. Insurance companies may try to contact you after your slip and fall accident, asking you to make statements or asking you to settle for an amount they may offer. Before accepting anything or telling insurance companies anything, ask to be contacted in writing and consider speaking to a personal injury lawyer before agreeing to any settlement.
- Speak to a personal injury attorney. The Law Offices of Robert Gregg are personal injury attorneys in Dallas, Texas who help slip and fall injury victims. Our firm can review your case, estimate the value of your claim, speak to insurance companies, and fight to help you get the best possible settlement permitted under the law. Visit us at http://www.gregginjury.com/ to learn more about your options and rights.
Law Offices of Robert Gregg
2024 Commerce Street, Suite B,
Dallas, TX 75201